Friday, July 8, 2011

My journey up until now

I was running a few weeks ago with a good friend and we got to talking about different subjects, blogging was one of them.  She suggested that I start a blog since I am into social media ( I am a Facebook snob).  I finally decided to sit down and do this.  So this entry may be a little long, but I feel it will tell how I have made choices about events I am doing this season.

I was a runner through high school and college. My best event in high school was the 3200 run where I took 10th in 1994 and 4th in 1995. Sadly my times would not even place in the top 10 in the state now. These high school girls are really running strong, but that is a great for the sport. I was 10K runner in college and placed at the conference level my sophomore through my senior years. In 2000 after my college eligibility was done I decided to compete in my first marathon.  I ran the Chicago Marathon.  Being naive I didn't realize what I was getting into and thought, I can manage 7:00 mile pace. I just may have, but I got a little excited at the start and went out at 6:00. WHOOPS.  It didn't hit me until later in the race that I was about a minute back from the actual start and that when the clock said 7:00, it was really 6:00 for me.  Lesson learned and I still ran 3:31:52.  I ran the Lakefront Marathon in Milwaukee in 2001 and then Boston in 2003. After Boston I hated running. I was bored with it and it was more like "I have to run" vs. "I am so excited for my run today." I knew I wanted to keep in good physical shape, but what could I do. I decided to take up triathlons.

My first triathlon was not really official and I am sure I made a complete fool of myself.  Again being naive. First problem for me was the swim was in the ocean in a bay.  Well, anyone who knows me, knows that I don't like swimming in oceans, JAWS might eat me. I did get through the swim and got on the bike. Oh I should also add that after the swim I decided to change tops in front of everyone stand there. WHOOPS again.  My friend Kim had friends that were kind enough to lend me a bike.  It was a mountain bike. As I got on the bike I now understood why some guy before the race asked if I was trying to work super hard. The run was much better for me.  The first official one I did was in Naperville. I did have to borrow my cousin's bike, which again lesson learned, make sure you are on a bike that fits you.  My cousin is a few inches taller than me. I did a few Olympic distances with Team in Training over the next couple years along with some sprints.

In 2007 a lot changed for me.  On July 5th I was feeling awful, but went through my day.  I finally decided to go to the doctor at the Urgent care that night. She suggested I go to the hospital, even offered me an ambulance, but me being me I drove myself to Edwards in Naperville.  After a test the doctor came back to my room on the ER to tell me that I had acute appendicitis and I need surgery like now. It was about quarter to midnight.  At that point I figured I better call my parents.  I woke my mom up and told her that I was at the hospital and needed surgery.  Both her and my dad got there as there wheeling me up to the operating room. First question, why didn't you call us when you were coming here. Well, I just thought I had a stomach ache from stress and they would give me something to calm me down.  The surgery was suppose to be 45 minutes to an hour. NOPE, 4 hours later I came out.  The appendix burst and wrapped around my small intestine. A few days later the surgeon came in and told my mom and I had that after the lap tests it was discovered that I have Crohn's Disease.  I was actually relieved that I knew what was going on.  Needless to say that triathlon season was scraped.

The next year I decided I would do Steelhead  Half Ironman with Team in Training and the Chicago Marathon. Of course that is the year it went from a swim, bike, run to run, bike, run.  I had to walk the last 2.5 miles of the half marathon. It was miserable.  The Chicago Marathon was worse. I had to drop out at mile 19 with stomach issues. I have been using that to help me ever since. I had also packed on about 45 pounds since the surgery.  In Nov. of 2008 I decided I needed to make some changes.  I started to work with a nutritionist at the healthclub I was a member of. I lost the weight. I had some issues in races in 2009 because I was not fueling properly during races.

In 2010 I worked with a nutritionist a friend from swim recommended. Finally back to normal. I decided to complete in Ironman Racine 70.3 as a challenge and test for me. I really wanted to do an Ironman someday.  I had a pretty good day at Racine. It was hot and I did have to walk through some of the water stations, but I now knew that I could do an Ironman.  I went to watch Ironman Wisconsin ( perfect location, perfect timing for me). After several panic attacks I signed up for Ironman Wisconsin 2011.

That leads me to where I am now. I decided I would have someone coach me. I chose MJ because I had got to know her last year, like her philosophy, and I knew that she would tell it like it is. I started to train in Jan..  April was a tough month between coaching track and field at school, gearing up for state testing at school, some crazy education meetings I had with parents. Training was my outlet. My first race of the season was the Palos Half Marathon. My goal was to break 1:40. That didn't happen.  I was so bummed that day.  BFF did sent me a text that cheered me up and after talking with a friend at work who also ran, I realized two things,1. the Palos Half Marathon was not the big picture-Ironman Wisconsin was, 2. It was only May 1st.  A few weeks later I ran the Soldier Field 10 miler, it went much smoother.  A week after that was my first triathlon of the season at Leon's.  Despite the bike being a few miles long, I still had a PR, which would have been a bigger PR if the bike course was the correct distance. I know Leon will fix that. After the race I decided to hang out with my Tri Smart pals for awards. They get to my age group and my name was called. I couldn't believe it. I was like really, me. That made my day.  Since Leon's I have been training and helping out at races where Tri Smart has been. I did ride the Horrible Hillies course on June 17th.  That title and what everyone tells you still does not do that bike course justice, you must experience it for yourself. It did help me with my fear of riding down hills. I felt much better on my second journey on the Verona loop of the Ironman course than the first time.  Next Sunday the 17th, I will be doing my first and only half Ironman of the season in Door County. I plan to blog my experience and I am sure it will not be as long as this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment