Saturday, July 14, 2012

Dances with Dirt




When I was thinking ahead to races this year, I said I didn't want to to do anything longer than half marathons and Olympic Distance Triathlons.  I was talking to my friend, Dawn during the winter season and she mentioned that she was doing this Dances with Dirt Half Marathon, which is she last year.  It is a trail marathon, all trails, some single track trails.  I decided to sign up because it was something different.

We left Friday to travel up to Baraboo, Wisconsin, by the Dells.  In our car was Dawn, Roger, Kurt, Amanda, and me.  Kara and Mary joined us later. The trip up was an adventure alone.  What should have been a three hour trips tops, turned into a five hour trip.  We managed to run into every construction zone possible, along with people who just can't drive. We stopped in Rockford to eat because we were starving at that point.  After a few more delays in construction we finally got to Baraboo, checked into our hotel and then went to Sprecher's for dinner. Each of tried a beer or other alcoholic beverage with our dinner.  I enjoyed some beer cheese soup ( can we see how serious this race really is). After dinner we walked around the Dells a little bit and then headed back to the hotel.

We woke up around 5AM to get ready to leave for the race. The nice thing about this race is that it is very low key.  The race has a few races during the day, a 50 mile, 50 K, marathon, half marathon, and 10K. We were walking around to get in line for our bibs and shirts and I see my friend, Paul from high school. We both ran cross-country and track and field. We chatted for a little bit and then I headed back to the car to put some stuff away.  Before the race we took at picture and went to the starting line.  At first there was some talk of running together.

The race started and maybe 100 meters into, it goes to single track, which also meant big back-up, already stopped. Kurt and I got out a little ways ahead of Dawn, Kara, and Mary because they were stuck in the "second" wave ( really no waves were designated). I saw them and Kurt and I turned around to walk back to them.  Being me, I said, okay, we're done, we're calling a day, got a few laughs from people.  We stayed together maybe a half mile, before Kurt and Kara were gone. A little later Dawn went around me, which was good because I was trying to figure out a way to go around the people in front of me, too much walking and slowing down. Dawn, Mary, and I got to the first mile in 17 minutes. WOW, we killed that didn't we.  Keeping in mind, we had to go down the same hill we went up when we were going to the finish.  At some point Mary went around and it was Dawn and me until a little after mile 4, where the second aid station was.  Finally I felt like I was in a groove and just started to go.  The one nice thing about trail runs, at least I feel this way, is when you can get into a groove, you feel faster than you are really going. 

I was kind of in my own little land for the next few miles.  I got to the turnaround and I was told it is beautiful from the bluff.  Only problem for me is I am afraid of heights. I took one look out and freaked. People were stopped, taking pictures, nope, not me. I put my head down and refused to look out. At this point this guy named Dave was running with me.  We ran the remainder of the race together. This was his 4th time doing this race.  He volunteered at Ironman Wisconsin a few years ago, but had no desire to compete in an Ironman. I mentioned that I did Ironman Wisconsin last year and that is was a great town, enjoyed the race a lot.  Before I knew it were were pasted nine miles. Okay, I couldn't believe how fast the race was going, it did help were now going downhill, instead of uphill.  The last 5K was all single track. I was being a little girl at this point.  Several times during the race I nearly bit it and fell over.  Since I had managed not to fall, I wasn't about to start.  I just watched my footing in front of me and tried to make sure that I was picking up my feet.  Then before I knew it, I was in the open field again, 100 meters from the finished.  I heard Roger and Kurt yelling and started to make my way to the finish.  Afterwards I chatted with Paul and my friend Bridgitt for a little bit and then it was time to go back home. 

This course is not a PR course, but it is challenging and a ton of fun.  I enjoyed the fact that it was different and challenging.  So if you are looking for something different, challenging, and fun, I would recommend this race.


No comments:

Post a Comment